Fear & Loathing Nar Shaddaa (Cole Q&A)

Everything you wanted to know and then some.

Fear & Loathing Nar Shaddaa (Cole Q&A)

Postby Cole Ormont » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Any questions for the Doctor?
Petty Officer | Navy Surgeon | Republic | Forever Alone | Profile

OUTFIT: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Backpack, Utility Belt.
GEAR: Standard Medpac, Respirator, Datapad, Fusion Lantern, Flask.
Accompanied by Pt. Pir Yongo, Republic Soldier from Dantooine, when in the Red Light District.
LANGUAGES: Huttese.

Some guys have all the luck, some guys get all the breaks, I get to roll my dice, ain't it nice?
Cole Ormont

Re: Fear & Loathing Nar Shaddaa (Cole Q&A)

Postby Sylvain Torsin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Thoughts of Sylvain? Cole seemed to dislike him a bit.

Highlights?

Favorite thread not your own?
Sith Empire | Human | Imperial Noble | Negotiator | Hero's Son | Baras' Apprentice
Carries/Wears: 'Cool' Mask, Jal Shey Mentor Armor w/cloak (Low Friction Coating, Enhanced Optics (Vigilance Mod), Energy Dispersion), Lightsaber (Purple Dantari, Curved Hilt), 5x Stimpacks, 3x Stun and 2x Frag Grenades, Utility Belt, Holopad
"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a leader is to look at the people he has around him." -Sylvain Torsin
Description
Sylvain Torsin

Postby Cole Ormont » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I feel that Cole never actually got to know Sylvain. They've interacted very briefly, and only tangentially. Cole understands that Syl's prickliness when they first met was out of protectiveness, not pride, and he's fairly certain that he proved his worth when he rebuilt Shaisha's hand. At their second meeting the morning after, Syl more than proved himself in Cole's eyes.

The highlight of my game hasn't happened yet. You'll know it when you see it. But Cole's crowning moment was obviously this one.

Favourite thread is a tough call. I spent more time trawling threads to get details of people's critical injuries than I spent actually reading them, but Cole's Best Line of the Game Award goes to:
Vec Gunnar wrote: "My name's not fucking Vince!"

Accompanied by Pt. Pir Yongo, Republic Soldier from Dantooine, when in the Red Light District.

Some guys have all the luck, some guys get all the breaks, I get to roll my dice, ain't it nice?
Cole Ormont

Postby Durasay Mixo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm sorry that we didn't start interacting till much later in the game. I enjoyed the vignettes and brief interactions the two men had. It was a pleasure.
Pantoran Peacekeeper | Neutral | Former Captain with Pantoran Defense Forces | Air of Command |
"Ah... the Negotiator..." | Theme

Equipped with: Smuggler's Trenchcoat (1/1 defense), Heavy Blaster Pistol (holstered to right thigh), Utility Belt, Vibrosword (+1 melee defense), Commlink, Datapad, Other items
Durasay Mixo

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 am

*winks at cole*

Did I get close to being a +1 at shai's birthday?
Neutral * Freelance * Well Dressed * Retired Military * Gambler * Fast Hands

Gear: Evea'lin (slug thrower), Audh'reh (blaster pistol, hidden), Noth (vibroknife, hidden), Hat, Jacket, Gloves, Armored clothes. Umbrella

Ship: Three Drinks Description Smells like: Whiskey, Cigarettes, Cologne
Zanebry Varliss

Postby Moyr Ahaya » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 am

Kidaja Killer Love. You have basically finished what I started, sir, and it always counts for something! :D

We have one fun ongoing thread so won't spam you with 'waddaya think of Moyr' questions (just yet), but the usual!

Highlight of the game?

Biggest regret?

Moment of desperation?

Dirtiest in-character thought?
Sith | Lethan Twi'lek | Former Smuggler | Shadow | Radical | Subversive | Honorary Fett | Profile

Wear: casual, concealing, jungle, or Mandalorian!; Weapon: 'Passion' (shadowsheathed twin-bladed lightsabre), X-30 Lancer, palm stunner, frags; Stuff: commlink, datapad, hand scanner, scramble key, survival kit, stimpacks; Ship: The Bitch, Corellian-Mandalorian hybrid light freighter; Crew: "Gunnie" Wren, co-pilot & T3-X3, maintenance droid; Companions: Virginia, battle droid

"You can have only as much liberty as you have the instinct to want and the audacity to take."
Moyr Ahaya

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 am

I'm really impatient for the Pool Party thread(s) to drop. Just, so impatient.

Zanebry Varliss wrote:*winks at cole*

Did I get close to being a +1 at shai's birthday?

I assume you mean the pool party? Sadly, no. By the time we got to that point in our thread, I'd already made OOC arrangements for the *ahem* after party.

Moyr Ahaya wrote:Biggest regret?

That it took me so long to get my head around how this game worked. I had a lot of empty slots for the early days of the game, slots I could have been using to meet characters I didn't get to spend enough time with.

Moyr Ahaya wrote:Moment of desperation?

Not sure how to answer this one. I think it might have been when Cole found out that the ship with the missing children was leaving, and that he needed to scramble a plan immediately.

Moyr Ahaya wrote:Dirtiest in-character thought?

Obviously, it would have to be the Jo'ren|Cole|Shaisha red velvet and vanilla cream cupcake. Referenced here.

Cole Ormont

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 am

I don't think I actually remember how the glasses came to be xD
Assistant GM | Yandere | Duchess of Yuri | Corgi-chan?
Nekoinu

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 am

It's in my PF under "Income and Expenditures". I figured the cost of a pair of Scanner Goggles would be appropriate, but if you want to overrule that, let me know!

When I was designing Cole, I had an image in my head of him wearing small, round glasses.
Character History wrote:Cole is the stereotypical nerd-type, slender and lanky. [...] If he wore glasses, he’d be the type who was always pushing them up the bridge of his nose.

I finally came up with the idea of a personal HUD, based on Google Glass. They don't convey any mechanical bonus (no boost dice, no night/distance vision), it's purely part of his nerd image. Plus, I got some great fluff out of them.

Cole Ormont

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:07 am

That's fine by me. I just didn't even notice until I looked at the avatar xD
Assistant GM | Yandere | Duchess of Yuri | Corgi-chan?
Nekoinu

Postby Ashla Vyliis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 am

Cole Ormont wrote:No questions, just thank you. My interactions with Ashla went a long way towards developing Cole's personality.

Cole didn't actually go into the brothel, but our IC PMs about it were great :)

I/Cole look forward to meeting her again next time.

Honestly, it's the same here. I loved our shelter Threads. If I have one disappointment in this game, it's that we never did another after Kidaja was killed. Entirely my fault for not getting back into the swing of things.

I look forward to seeing Cole and Ashla meeting up in the future. I know you were wary of it, but thanks for playing. :D
Republic * "Doctor" * Unwilling Jedi Padawan * Morally Flexible * Force Sensitive * Soresu Defender

Equipment: Lightsaber, Physician's Kit

Languages: Huttese, Togruti
Ashla Vyliis

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 am

So which regeneration is Cole at now?

Thoughts on Remmy? The other members of the Hutt Ball teams? Hutt Ball in general?

Once again, very nice kill on Kidaja.
Sith | Force Sensitive | Human | Fallen Sith Line | Duelist | Mechanic | Charming | Hutt Ball Team: Valkyrie | Honourary Fett | Exp
"The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down."

Carries: Backpack, Comlink (Handheld), Datapad, Glow Rod, Laminate Armour (Mandalorian), Lightsaber - Gram, Respirator, Scanner Goggles, Spacesuit, Utility Belt

Ship: Skidbladnir
Remmington Thalalas

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:18 am

Remmington Thalalas wrote:So which regeneration is Cole at now?

That would be telling ;)

Remmington Thalalas wrote:Thoughts on Remmy?

I have.... questions. So many questions. Well, one question really. Aside from that, you really missed out early game, Remmi. Cole's crush progression went from Niall >> Remmi >> Jo'ren. But you were too busy dating Ashla and Adrianna :P

Remmington Thalalas wrote:The other members of the Hutt Ball teams?

Huttball was amazing. The fluff potential, the team work, I think the players who participated were all great. That's why the other members of the teams were top of my list to get to know.

Remmington Thalalas wrote:Hutt Ball in general?

Love it. It does contradict a little bit with my ideas about Cole's personality, but when he turned out to not actually suck at it (rolling Triumph in his first game helped), I was hooked. Plus, I got to do this:
    Cole Ormont wrote:Cole moved amongst the elated team, sharing high fives. His leg wasn't hurting, and they'd coordinated well, it was a damn fine result. Heading off the court, he passed Jo'ren with a high five, carrying through the motion to slap the massive Sith square on the ass.

A few steps later, he turned, a smile and a cocked eyebrow daring Jo'ren to do something about it.

Cole Ormont

Postby Aphr Ahaya » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:49 am

Cole is such a cool character - I loved him. That makes 2 out of 2 PCs you made that I loved :D

What did Cole think of the tiny Twi'lek?
Neutral * Twi'lek * Pretty and Charming * Adorable little sister * Force-Sensitive * Profile
Inventory: Blaster Pistol, Pretty Clothes(Average Perception check detects plating),comlink, stimpacks, Hidden Pink Sapith Gem Necklace, Hidden Lightsaber (sometimes)
Speaks: Common, Twi'lek, Hutt
(OOC note-when trying to influence Aphr with the Influence Force Power, upgrade your roll by 1 & add a setback dice)
Aphr Ahaya

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am

Cole was an only child, so he would have totally doted on Aphr if they'd had threads together. I love Aphr's playfulness and her 'go get em' attitude.

Cole Ormont

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 am

Bonus!

Cole Look Book of Concept Sketches
(Click for Embiggen, via Imgur)

Sexy Male Vera Hawke
I had to take this one back to the drawing board. I rushed the initial drawing and the costume design never sat right with me. This is the redesigned version with even moar flesh windows.

Huttballer
But seriously, how did Cole never suffer a game ending injury in all the games he played? I spent hours trawling for reference photos of soccer and rugby players, and do you know where I finally pulled the image I based this from? The Fireman's calendar on my wall.

Casual Cole
C'mon, you know that Cole's a skinny jeans and skinny waistcoat kinda guy. It's so him. Also, he never goes anywhere without his kit. Never.

Fanservice
\o/ Pool Party!

Cole Ormont

Postby Shaisha Vreysk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 am

Cole!

\o/

I did not expect him and Shai to get along so well, but that's just the chemistry of things, I guess. :lol:

What are Cole's plans for the future?

What was the reasons for his attraction to the purebloods?

In hind-sight what would you have done differently in the game if you could go back on one thing?
Sith | Shien Sentinel | Pureblood | Vowrawn's Apprentice | Deviless | Scourge's Legacy | Successor To The Eternal Emperor | Data | Theme (end of game)
Ship: Saarai-kaar (Crew: Jitter, Jawa mechanic. Anthy, Section IX rookie)

Gear: Shadowsuit armor w/cloak and mask (on occassion), gloves, Chwûq (shoto lightsaber, Siqsa (lightsaber), utility belt with suprises, commlink, datapad.
Art
Shaisha Vreysk

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:I did not expect him and Shai to get along so well, but that's just the chemistry of things, I guess.

I don't even know how that happened. I remember a slightly intoxicated Cole spying a sexy pureblood at the opening cocktail party, and then next thing, they're paling around in Shadow Town? Definitely unexpected, but I love how well they worked together.

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:What are Cole's plans for the future?

I'm sketching out some notes. Cole's "Ambition" is to be the best damn surgeon that stepped into a medical theatre, so I'm looking to that for guidance. Ultimately, he'll fall back on his emotional weakness and decide to stick with what he knows, signing on for another four years in the military. But I have some ideas around the need for Naval Peacekeeping forces that will provide Cole with opportunities for promotion, as well as move him away from the "safe" environment of the medical frigate set ups.

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:What was the reasons for his attraction to the purebloods?

Your original avatar. Right from game start, GhostWolfe (i.e. me the Player) was enamoured with sith purebloods. The reason that Cole slides so far down the Kinsey scale where purebloods are concerned is entirely due to player bias: the cheek tendrils the males tend to have weird me right the fuck out. Jo'ren, if you're reading this (hi!), a quick guide:

HOT

NOT

There's something primal about the spurs and ridges that really appeals to me, and I passed that on to Cole's personality.

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:In hind-sight what would you have done differently in the game if you could go back on one thing?

I don't think there's any IC thing I would take back. I think I would have gone with the Project: Evolution lab team, but I was frustrated, and I had very little real time to choose. I choose poorly.

I really regret not getting into a single combat. There were possibilities to explore: Cole's emotional weakness, Cole not having any combat skills or weapons, wielding a scalpel as an improvised weapon, actually being able to provide triage on a scene instead of three slots later...

The combats seemed to all be... epic. Limbs being hacked off, Shaisha getting one-shotted with a roll of Really Fucking Dead for a crit, Zeno being eaten by a grue, Alysele having three crits at any given time. I sorta felt unequipped for the kind of fights other players were pursuing.

I think, though, that my need for Roll Playing alongside my Role Playing was also a hinderance. I'm the kind of person who'll roll Charm when my character smiles to objectively prove that he is, in fact, as roguish and cute as I imagine him to be. I designed the three-step rolls to kill Kidaja, when it could have been done entirely cinematically, but I have stats for a reason!

Also, I think I'm wandering off on a tangent...

Cole Ormont

Postby Jo'ren Rath » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

There were so many great new characters in this game and Cole was one of my favorites to interact with. From our first Huttball game together, where Jo'ren mercilessly teases him, to the doctors surgery with your very detailed descriptions of Cole's skill I had a lot of fun with our threads :). Also the murder of Kidaja was perfect *Sith fistbump*

So will Cole join the Empire?
Favorite Cole thread?
Favorite Jo'ren thread?
Defining moment of the game?
Force Sensitive | True Sith | Athletic | Tough | Shii-Cho | Niman | Vengean's apprentice | Action Hero
"A Sith chooses their own path, their own destiny."
Wears or carries: Red double-bladed lightsaber, red standard lightsaber, comlink, utility belt and backpack with stuff, Sith Holocron, Heavy clothing or Sith armour with impressive cloak.
Ship: The Terror Star (light freighter). Crew: XL-R8 (pilot), T0-1L (co-piloting/engineer). Passenger: 2V-R6 (Astrogation/Protocol)
Jo'ren Rath

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Jo'ren Rath wrote:the doctors surgery with your very detailed descriptions of Cole's skill

I won't lie. Inventing surgeries for Cole to perform was definitely one of my favourite things.

Jo'ren Rath wrote:So will Cole join the Empire?

Probably not. Cole's way too hung up on his morals to make a true conversion. OOC, I want to reprise him in the next game, which was my biggest factor in deciding what happens next to him. He's a believer in integration, so maybe there's a hunky sith man out there who's amenable to the Republic way of doing things, and they'll live happily ever creeping out elderly racists wherever they go.

Jo'ren Rath wrote:Favorite Cole thread?

Mmmmmmm. I feel like Cole had moments, every now and then he'd just drop a gem, but I'm not sure that he ever had a thread that he really shone in. Every interaction with Ashla was a lot of fun, though, and this one will always be special to me:

Subject: Healing Hands, guarded (D4 EA, Open)
    Cole Ormont wrote:"Could be, could be. But no matter how many times I leave my number on reattached limbs, I never get a call," Cole smirks.

Jo'ren Rath wrote:Favorite Jo'ren thread?

Well, I'm hoping it's the one that hasn't happened yet ;)

Jo'ren Rath wrote:Defining moment of the game?

I think it was the moment he murdered Kidaja. That was when Cole stopped being the squeaky clean, lawful good type and whole new avenues opened up to him.

Cole Ormont

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Yeah, I rather enjoyed Cole though we didn't really hang out more till latter into the game. He is one of my favourites for the new characters as well.

Love the sketches by the way. He Cole coming back next game?

While Cole won't join the Empire. Will he give some serious thought about becoming a retainer? Not sure if the answer will change or not if Remmy can get his foot in the Republic door. Remmy highly values Cole's skill and would like him working with him. Don't worry, not going to ask Cole to work against the Republic and we can both hopefully team up with our hatred for slugs. :lol:
Sith | Force Sensitive | Human | Fallen Sith Line | Duelist | Mechanic | Charming | Hutt Ball Team: Valkyrie | Honourary Fett | Exp
"The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down."

Carries: Backpack, Comlink (Handheld), Datapad, Glow Rod, Laminate Armour (Mandalorian), Lightsaber - Gram, Respirator, Scanner Goggles, Spacesuit, Utility Belt

Ship: Skidbladnir
Remmington Thalalas

Postby Alysele Cortess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 pm

I am sad we only interacted a little. Thank you for healing Aly though! It means a lot!

Cole was fun to read though!
Republic Jedi * Force Sensitive * Arrogant Duelist * Ambitious Noble
Carries: lightsaber (blue), white robes, stimpack
Alysele Cortess

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Remmington Thalalas wrote:Will he give some serious thought about becoming a retainer? Not sure if the answer will change or not if Remmy can get his foot in the Republic door. Remmy highly values Cole's skill and would like him working with him. Don't worry, not going to ask Cole to work against the Republic and we can both hopefully team up with our hatred for slugs. :lol:

If it puts him back in touch with the Imperial side, he may consider it. Shaisha was the first person Cole could ever really talk to about Imperial/Republic politics, and he will miss her sorely over the next two years.

Over the next two years, Cole will be moving away from the spotless surgical operating theatre where he would have trained on a surgical speciality, and towards something more like what he was doing on Nar Shaddaa: critical surgeries in ad hoc settings. But he is still driven to improve his abilities.

To gain Cole's loyalty, Remmi would do well to offer Cole new opportunities to practice his talents.

Cole Ormont

Postby Col. Hala Moraal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:17 pm

<3
Imperial * Human * Military * Intelligence * Credentialed Diplomatic Attache
Dress uniform, assortment of ribbons and medals, code cylinders, comm link, data pad, species database, holdout blaster
description
Col. Hala Moraal

Postby Vec Gunnar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 am

Thank you for the conversation and the drinks! Vec was totally willing to talk to Cole without bringing someone bloody with him, really!
Imperial | Human | Military | Trooper | Sergeant | OT-422
Carries on Duty: Heavy Blaster Pistol, Blaster Rifle, Combat Knife, Grenades, Laminate Armour, Comlink, Scanner Goggles, Stimpack x2, and likely even more.

Description
Vec Gunnar

Next

Return to Q & A Forum