The Dreaded Assistant GM

Everything you wanted to know and then some.

The Dreaded Assistant GM

Postby Nekoinu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Hey guys. I want to apologize for losing steam towards the end. It was a pleasure to act in the role of Assistant GM in such a game where people are so passionate about the characters and the world itself. Please feel free to leave constructive criticism and lavish me with compliments. I particular want the latter xD
Assistant GM | Yandere | Duchess of Yuri | Corgi-chan?
Nekoinu

Re: The Dreaded Assistant GM

Postby Sylvain Torsin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

You are the nekoest of inus and the inuest of nekos.

Thanks for all you do dear!
Sith Empire | Human | Imperial Noble | Negotiator | Hero's Son | Baras' Apprentice
Carries/Wears: 'Cool' Mask, Jal Shey Mentor Armor w/cloak (Low Friction Coating, Enhanced Optics (Vigilance Mod), Energy Dispersion), Lightsaber (Purple Dantari, Curved Hilt), 5x Stimpacks, 3x Stun and 2x Frag Grenades, Utility Belt, Holopad
"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a leader is to look at the people he has around him." -Sylvain Torsin
Description
Sylvain Torsin

Postby Niall Organa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 pm

I know you're tired... but any chance of endgame fiction?

What if I make a macaroni picture of Garrick Lorne with hearts on it? Because everybody loved Garrick Lorne!
Republic Military Officer * Alderaanian Noble * Diplomat * Profile * Theme
Carries: Officer's Blaster Pistol, 4 stimpacks. Grenade when appropriate
Niall Organa

Postby Nekoinu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm actually planning on writing a general epilogue for what everyone did afterwards. Might make a poll for who people want fiction of the most or maybe I'll just choose.

As for the picture, that'd be rad lol
Nekoinu

Postby Col. Hala Moraal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:16 am

What did you invest time in that players didn't engage with?

What did players really spend a lot of time doing of your's that you didn't expect?

Will Maelstrom happen on D12?

I know you were experimenting with mechanics:
What was something you tried that worked? How would you expand on it?
What was something you tried that didn't? And what might you do to improve it?
Imperial * Human * Military * Intelligence * Credentialed Diplomatic Attache
Dress uniform, assortment of ribbons and medals, code cylinders, comm link, data pad, species database, holdout blaster
description
Col. Hala Moraal

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 am

*gives neko a hug*

Wish I could of found more time for some of your npc's
Neutral * Freelance * Well Dressed * Retired Military * Gambler * Fast Hands

Gear: Evea'lin (slug thrower), Audh'reh (blaster pistol, hidden), Noth (vibroknife, hidden), Hat, Jacket, Gloves, Armored clothes. Umbrella

Ship: Three Drinks Description Smells like: Whiskey, Cigarettes, Cologne
Zanebry Varliss

Postby Moyr Ahaya » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:11 am

*floofs the tigerwolf*

You were awesome. I actually hold back until you answer Hala's questions, but tagging it for now - be sure I have things to ask!
Sith | Lethan Twi'lek | Former Smuggler | Shadow | Radical | Subversive | Honorary Fett | Profile

Wear: casual, concealing, jungle, or Mandalorian!; Weapon: 'Passion' (shadowsheathed twin-bladed lightsabre), X-30 Lancer, palm stunner, frags; Stuff: commlink, datapad, hand scanner, scramble key, survival kit, stimpacks; Ship: The Bitch, Corellian-Mandalorian hybrid light freighter; Crew: "Gunnie" Wren, co-pilot & T3-X3, maintenance droid; Companions: Virginia, battle droid

"You can have only as much liberty as you have the instinct to want and the audacity to take."
Moyr Ahaya

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 am

Col. Hala Moraal wrote:What did you invest time in that players didn't engage with?

What did players really spend a lot of time doing of your's that you didn't expect?

Will Maelstrom happen on D12?

I know you were experimenting with mechanics:
What was something you tried that worked? How would you expand on it?
What was something you tried that didn't? And what might you do to improve it?

I think people highly underestimated Crescent Shadow's potential. I thought taking over the entire network and stabbing a guy to death would give a good picture how much power they possessed. I had a big showdown envisioned between anti-terrorists and Sath Kwa'to. Never even came close to happening. I suppose they just needed to kill thousands of people to get attention :3

Honestly? I thought Vera would be incredibly unpopular because she's a total bitch. But turns out she has a certain charm to her.

I was satisfied with the Spirit Quest event. It accomplished what I wanted, which was calling upon every trait like in a L5R Rings test thing. In hindsight, I might have made it so that you failed the entire thing if you failed any steps. But it worked like that in the end.

Day 3 events xD. The Kaggath was a massive failure, the Nemerosch fight included. I highly underestimated people's ability to rack up points. And Propaganda Machine was bad enough that I had to rewrite it. In its revised edition, I think it was too easy.

---

Might get more in-depth later... I feel like there's a lot to say xD
Nekoinu

Postby Arsele Girard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 am

Nekoinu wrote:Hey guys. I want to apologize for losing steam towards the end. It was a pleasure to act in the role of Assistant GM in such a game where people are so passionate about the characters and the world itself. Please feel free to leave constructive criticism and lavish me with compliments. I particular want the latter xD

You did infinitely better than I did in my AGM trial; You have my kudos.

Anything you wanted to do/elaborate on with Arsele that didn't happen?

What all is on the collection shelf besides yarny and the catnip basket?
Neutral ¤ Lounge Singer ¤ Dancer ¤ Secret Life ¤ Alderaanian Noble <> Appearance; 19 y/o, 5'4", blonde hair in braid, blue eyes, pale skin
faces of Arsele: Lounge | Socialite | Around Town | Casual
Carries: concealment holster w/ 411 holdout blaster and shortened barrel, comm, datapad, stimpack.
Backpack (usually hidden on ship): static pistol, climbing gear, lock picking tools, utility belt, extra ammo, hunting goggles, fusion lantern.
Arsele Girard

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:44 am

I would have enjoyed more Mandalorian stuff with Kyr'ad. I never did though >.>. I also would have enjoyed Alderaanian hijinks!

Toys! Plushies! Pictures of hot blondes, maybe?
Nekoinu

Postby Galen Sol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 am

Once again, you did great.

How close did you come to allowing Galen x Lyshea? Is there anyone you think he should have been paired with?
Human | Force Sensitive | Seeker | Hunter | Neutral
Wears: Heavy Clothing, Utility Belt, Thermal Cloak
Carries: Datapad, Comlink, Scanner Goggles, Other Gear as Necessary
Pet: Navi
Galen Sol

Postby Shaisha Vreysk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

I think you did a great job for GMing for the first time with this community and format, especially considering you joined in the community earlier this year for the first time for Heresy. :D

There were some hiccups and things like the Kaggath that could've been done better, but being able to look at it and admit your faults and learn from them is the sign of a good GM.

You and Dapper both seem to both have a great idea for NPCs bringing the world to life and to make the game more interactive than just "Event, roll, move on". Much love!

*floofs Nekoinu's fur!*

Which NPCs surprised you the most?

How much was planned, and how much was "making it up as you go"? And how much had to be changed because of players?

Any NPCs you wanted to shine more, but were overlooked by the PCs?
Sith | Shien Sentinel | Pureblood | Vowrawn's Apprentice | Deviless | Scourge's Legacy | Successor To The Eternal Emperor | Data | Theme (end of game)
Ship: Saarai-kaar (Crew: Jitter, Jawa mechanic. Anthy, Section IX rookie)

Gear: Shadowsuit armor w/cloak and mask (on occassion), gloves, Chwûq (shoto lightsaber, Siqsa (lightsaber), utility belt with suprises, commlink, datapad.
Art
Shaisha Vreysk

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Galen Sol wrote:Once again, you did great.

How close did you come to allowing Galen x Lyshea? Is there anyone you think he should have been paired with?

Lyshea and Galen had maybe a 40% chance of happening. The temptation was there on my part but I ended up bringing her in. She's a pretty otherworldly Jedi and I find that teacher-student relationships should go without romance, despite what the media might portray! Maybe if they had remained only friends. I can assure you that she has no idea how to do anything romantic though!

I'll get to Shaisha questions when I'm not on my phone!
Nekoinu

Postby Galen Sol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:27 pm

If they had hooked up, Galen wouldn't have asked for training from her. He would have asked for suggestions of other teachers he could seek out. That way they could focus on each other.
Galen Sol

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Oh and for Galen to end up with... that's problematic in terms of NPCs cause so many of them are teases. Vera moving onto Galen might have been pretty cute.

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:I think you did a great job for GMing for the first time with this community and format, especially considering you joined in the community earlier this year for the first time for Heresy. :D

There were some hiccups and things like the Kaggath that could've been done better, but being able to look at it and admit your faults and learn from them is the sign of a good GM.

You and Dapper both seem to both have a great idea for NPCs bringing the world to life and to make the game more interactive than just "Event, roll, move on". Much love!

*floofs Nekoinu's fur!*

Which NPCs surprised you the most?

How much was planned, and how much was "making it up as you go"? And how much had to be changed because of players?

Any NPCs you wanted to shine more, but were overlooked by the PCs?

It surprised me how easily Haydriss would become angry. I knew she was irrational but she was crazier that Kolatsumi! Vera Ordo also surprised me in the way that she had more depth to her than I originally planned. Oh and Lyshea was more 'normal' in her inception before I made her into the otherworldy weirdo she is today. Her former apprentice, O'nera, was less derpy in her original incarnation. But I believe she was more fun that way.

Jal was a lot nicer than I anticipated, genuinely wanting to give good advice on things. His original inception was much more scheming. Kyr'ad Kelborn was more gregarious than I planned; he was more grumpy and serious, like any old man character! Finally, Zios was also just a typical gun dealer but I decided to give him a bit more flair. Now he's the incredibly erratic Duros xD

Honestly? Most of the game was improv. I didn't want to make events that didn't have bearing on other things so I didn't make too many ahead of time. I also had more inspiration during the game. In hindsight, that's probably why they were so messy. I took 'Sith want fighting' and made the Kaggath and so on. Heck, I didn't even know what Project: Evolution was until a little after game start. Aris' assassination, Sath and Crescent Shadow, and Matthias being an asshole were all established way beforehand.

To be honest, I think all of them! I would have liked to flesh them out more for the most part. I feel like there were many lost opportunities. I learned my lesson in that I did not need so many. I'll make a list for the ones that I regret the most over:
  • Anhel Rolm - He's kind of useless. I regret not giving him more to work off of.
  • Herresh Seir'oto - The political world is far too removed from me. If I was more savvy, I think he would have been a fun character to play.
  • Aris N'ventas - I wish I had let him develop more. I enjoyed playing the 'surprise, he got stabbed' shtick but since he was such a throwaway character he never had much of an impact.
  • Salreia - First half the game she just didn't do anything at all! I enjoy the Chiss Ascendancy so clearly it was a missed opportunity. Being possessed is a nice plot turn though that I did not expect at all.
  • Zuraa - Another political type that I just did not utilize. She's incredibly manipulative but that is incredibly against my nature as a person >.>
  • Fes A'vuto - Existed as a plot element more than a character in himself. I wish I gave him more to do.
  • Vatou - I had hoped that something would have happened to give him redemption/character development!
  • Malto Brin - A huge jerk who I never used to antagonize people! He had a huge stint against Force Users and I had thought of imposing 'taxes' on them that needed to be removed by getting rid of him.
  • Orar Varad/Cipher-6 - I guess I never thought of how to use him. The Mandalorian plotline resolved much quicker than I anticipated and he then kind of just existed.
  • Devi Linwell - I never got to explore her! She's somewhat of an anarchist, though her biggest thing is that she hates the Hutt Cartels and Sith Empire for their open slaving practices. That's why she aligns herself as a Crescent Shadow mole ^^

Here's my opinion on others that are generally fine but still would have liked doing more:
  • Evangeline Ulter - She had her job but she never really... did it. Would have been nice to give her something to do. But I'm quite satisfied with how her exit from Nar Shaddaa worked.
  • Lord Ralnorrei - Though she had some nice screen time, I never got to really display how devious she is. I think I could have antagonized some Jedi with her if I had felt like it. I also never really got to show on-screen how her dynamic with Haydriss works!
  • O'nera Aeser - Her main purpose was dying! Though she was pretty cool in doing it. I have no regrets in how she went out.
  • Naveera - I wish she had interacted with more people outside of the SIS. She's a flirtatious spy; that would have been amusing!
  • Thera Ordo - I feel like I missed something with her in the latter half of the game. But she was enjoyable in her threads.
  • Jaw of Oblivion - Lots of missed potential here. But at least they got to see Layne!
  • Sath Kwa'to - Might have been neat if people had actually met him. But I suppose it's better that Crescent Shadow remain faceless to most people.

The rest I had regrets too but to a much lesser extent.
Nekoinu

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Galen Sol wrote:If they had hooked up, Galen wouldn't have asked for training from her. He would have asked for suggestions of other teachers he could seek out. That way they could focus on each other.

Ah, good point. Well, such are missed opportunities ^^
Nekoinu

Postby Galen Sol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Any chance of running into whoever Evangeline becomes in the future?
Galen Sol

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Galen Sol wrote:Any chance of running into whoever Evangeline becomes in the future?

I did think on it. I don't know if she'd be in Game 3 though. Warzones aren't exactly her thing xD. Maybe a cameo if there's an off-planet job.
Nekoinu

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Well good job as a 1st time GM and also doing it for a totally new system that you are not used to. Lots of guts there.

I hope that you return to the job. Are any of the NPCs making a return? I wanted to talk with Salreia after the wedding. :lol:
Sith | Force Sensitive | Human | Fallen Sith Line | Duelist | Mechanic | Charming | Hutt Ball Team: Valkyrie | Honourary Fett | Exp
"The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down."

Carries: Backpack, Comlink (Handheld), Datapad, Glow Rod, Laminate Armour (Mandalorian), Lightsaber - Gram, Respirator, Scanner Goggles, Spacesuit, Utility Belt

Ship: Skidbladnir
Remmington Thalalas

Postby Nekoinu » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I imagine any that are relevant would make a return. I doubt most of the Imperial ones and Nar Shaddaa locals would show up for more than cameos. Definite returns are:
  • Lyshea Mersl
  • Garrick Lorne
  • Vera Ordo
  • Kyr'ad Kelborn
  • Orar Varad/Cipher-6
Naveera is in a bit of flux. I'll have to figure out her future first ^^
Nekoinu

Postby Dapper Dog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 pm

You did good and I appreciate your work.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Dapper Dog

Postby Dapper Dog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 pm

I know I should say did well.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Dapper Dog

Postby Alysele Cortess » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Lorne was fun! Others too, but Lorne became memetic.

Did Zuura live in the end? I regret not taking time to visit her :(
Republic Jedi * Force Sensitive * Arrogant Duelist * Ambitious Noble
Carries: lightsaber (blue), white robes, stimpack
Alysele Cortess

Postby Moyr Ahaya » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Probably? I was very intent on terminating her because of reasons but in the end there wasn't enough time.
Sith | Lethan Twi'lek | Former Smuggler | Shadow | Radical | Subversive | Honorary Fett | Profile

Wear: casual, concealing, jungle, or Mandalorian!; Weapon: 'Passion' (shadowsheathed twin-bladed lightsabre), X-30 Lancer, palm stunner, frags; Stuff: commlink, datapad, hand scanner, scramble key, survival kit, stimpacks; Ship: The Bitch, Corellian-Mandalorian hybrid light freighter; Crew: "Gunnie" Wren, co-pilot & T3-X3, maintenance droid; Companions: Virginia, battle droid

"You can have only as much liberty as you have the instinct to want and the audacity to take."
Moyr Ahaya

Postby Layne Hoshin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm

I definitely regret not sinking my teeth into the Jaw of Oblivion stuff more; I had so much on my plate that I decided to shift it forward, and then they were gone.

Perhaps they could make a return next game? :?
Former Sith | Human | Elevated Slave | Little Wrath | Intimidating | Bold | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Supposedly dead
equipment: Armored robes, Utility Belt, Stimpacks, Lightsaber(Darksaber), Lightsaber(Shoto), Communicator, Ancient Sword hilt, Glowrod
"So... Wrath of the Emperor eh? What's that about?"

Description
Layne Hoshin

Next

Return to Q & A Forum