He's Just a Grunt (Vec Gunnar Q&A)

Everything you wanted to know and then some.

He's Just a Grunt (Vec Gunnar Q&A)

Postby Vec Gunnar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Wow, these things are going up already? I guess I'll toss my proverbial hat into the lot.
Imperial | Human | Military | Trooper | Sergeant | OT-422
Carries on Duty: Heavy Blaster Pistol, Blaster Rifle, Combat Knife, Grenades, Laminate Armour, Comlink, Scanner Goggles, Stimpack x2, and likely even more.

Description
Vec Gunnar

Re: He's Just a Grunt (Vec Gunnar Q&A)

Postby Nekoinu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 pm

I should have bombed your open threads more. Really regret it!

I'm curious who is Vec's favorite Sith.
Assistant GM | Yandere | Duchess of Yuri | Corgi-chan?
Nekoinu

Postby Zanebry Varliss » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 am

Wish we had more time vec...

Might have encouraged you to retire and join my ship.
Neutral * Freelance * Well Dressed * Retired Military * Gambler * Fast Hands

Gear: Evea'lin (slug thrower), Audh'reh (blaster pistol, hidden), Noth (vibroknife, hidden), Hat, Jacket, Gloves, Armored clothes. Umbrella

Ship: Three Drinks Description Smells like: Whiskey, Cigarettes, Cologne
Zanebry Varliss

Postby Moyr Ahaya » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 am

Not touching base with Vec is one of my regrets from this game since from a distance it looked like he was really a cool, well thought-of character. So jumping on opportunity to learn something more of him now. :)

Highlight of the game?

Biggest regret?

Moment of desperation?

Dirtiest in-character thought?
Sith | Lethan Twi'lek | Former Smuggler | Shadow | Radical | Subversive | Honorary Fett | Profile

Wear: casual, concealing, jungle, or Mandalorian!; Weapon: 'Passion' (shadowsheathed twin-bladed lightsabre), X-30 Lancer, palm stunner, frags; Stuff: commlink, datapad, hand scanner, scramble key, survival kit, stimpacks; Ship: The Bitch, Corellian-Mandalorian hybrid light freighter; Crew: "Gunnie" Wren, co-pilot & T3-X3, maintenance droid; Companions: Virginia, battle droid

"You can have only as much liberty as you have the instinct to want and the audacity to take."
Moyr Ahaya

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:51 am

Would Vince like to cameo in an episode of Cleavage Knight? :lol:
Sith | Force Sensitive | Human | Fallen Sith Line | Duelist | Mechanic | Charming | Hutt Ball Team: Valkyrie | Honourary Fett | Exp
"The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down."

Carries: Backpack, Comlink (Handheld), Datapad, Glow Rod, Laminate Armour (Mandalorian), Lightsaber - Gram, Respirator, Scanner Goggles, Spacesuit, Utility Belt

Ship: Skidbladnir
Remmington Thalalas

Postby Cole Ormont » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 am

I should have PM'd you in the second half of the game. I kept waiting for you to throw out pop-up threads so Cole could hit you up for that drink... then when you did, it was always for slots I didn't have free!

We got there in the end, so I'm looking forward to sharing a bottle of unidentified alcohol with Vec!
Petty Officer | Navy Surgeon | Republic | Forever Alone | Profile

OUTFIT: Diagnostic Spectacles, Heavy Clothing, Backpack, Utility Belt.
GEAR: Standard Medpac, Respirator, Datapad, Fusion Lantern, Flask.
Accompanied by Pt. Pir Yongo, Republic Soldier from Dantooine, when in the Red Light District.
LANGUAGES: Huttese.

Some guys have all the luck, some guys get all the breaks, I get to roll my dice, ain't it nice?
Cole Ormont

Postby Shaisha Vreysk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm

He might be just a grunt, but it's grunts like Vec that makes a tyrannical Empire go round! :D

*raises a glass in Vec's honor*

Really happy to see someone go for the "rank-and-file" grunt in the Imperial military. It was something I always felt was lacking in SWTOR, seeing as we got a Republic Trooper, but not an Imperial one.

How did Vec feel about all these teenaged Sith running around and basically being the boss of him? Any of them he grew to hate/love/respect?

Will he be accepting Shai's offer to serve her more directly and be upgraded from regular grunt to special grunt? :D
Sith | Shien Sentinel | Pureblood | Vowrawn's Apprentice | Deviless | Scourge's Legacy | Successor To The Eternal Emperor | Data | Theme (end of game)
Ship: Saarai-kaar (Crew: Jitter, Jawa mechanic. Anthy, Section IX rookie)

Gear: Shadowsuit armor w/cloak and mask (on occassion), gloves, Chwûq (shoto lightsaber, Siqsa (lightsaber), utility belt with suprises, commlink, datapad.
Art
Shaisha Vreysk

Postby Vec Gunnar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 am

Nekoinu wrote:I should have bombed your open threads more. Really regret it!

I'm curious who is Vec's favorite Sith.

I really could have used the company! However, I think most of my open threads were in the Imperial compound, at least the beginning. So, I understand that it might be hard to strike up a conversation with a trooper on patrol and doing his guarding thing, I should have taken him out more.

As his favourite Sith, I think it would have to be Shaisha Vreysk. He did manage to chat with her the most, got free drinks and smokes, and she did seem the least bratty out of all the young Sith. So, he found her the most likeable. Some honourable mentioned are Lana, Jo'ren, and maybe Remmington and Layne through combat.

Zanebry Varliss wrote:Wish we had more time vec...

Might have encouraged you to retire and join my ship.

But we shared a drink at least! I think I might be scooped up for another ship?
Carries on Duty: Heavy Blaster Pistol, Blaster Rifle, Combat Knife, Grenades, Laminate Armour, Comlink, Scanner Goggles, Stimpack x2, and likely even more.

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Jo'ren Rath » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Best line of the game goes to Vec with: "My name's not fucking Vince!"

I thought Vec was a great character and would have been looked to get more into our threads together. Just didn't work out that way in the end.

Do you think you would bring him back for a future game?

What was your favorite moment of the game for Vec?
Force Sensitive | True Sith | Athletic | Tough | Shii-Cho | Niman | Vengean's apprentice | Action Hero
"A Sith chooses their own path, their own destiny."
Wears or carries: Red double-bladed lightsaber, red standard lightsaber, comlink, utility belt and backpack with stuff, Sith Holocron, Heavy clothing or Sith armour with impressive cloak.
Ship: The Terror Star (light freighter). Crew: XL-R8 (pilot), T0-1L (co-piloting/engineer). Passenger: 2V-R6 (Astrogation/Protocol)
Jo'ren Rath

Postby Vec Gunnar » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Moyr Ahaya wrote:Not touching base with Vec is one of my regrets from this game since from a distance it looked like he was really a cool, well thought-of character. So jumping on opportunity to learn something more of him now. :)

Highlight of the game?

Biggest regret?

Moment of desperation?

Thank you! I'm guessing these questions are posed toward him and his opinions?

Highlight of the game?
His highlights of his stay in Nar Shaddaa was certainly wherever he put his primary skills as a soldier into use. He understood this was supposed to be a peaceful talks mission but he welcomed the combat as a break from monotony.

Biggest regret?
Probably not talking to as many people, especially those he probably only talked to once, sharing similar vocations/opinions, and never ran into ever again. Niall, Zenebry and Hala came to mind.

Moment of desperation?
It had to be that operation in Makeb gone wrong and they found themselves horribly outmatched. He would have been willing to tough it out, but not alone. If anything, he was surprised he was able to make off with a celebrity's speeder.

Hm, as a player, I haven't really explored this avenue and I'm a bit at a loss to come up with an answer. I suppose I spent most of the game so focused on one aspect of him that I didn't really think potential avenues of lust/love, even with a passing thought. He has them, to be certain, but probably not directed to anyone here.

Remmington Thalalas wrote:Would Vince like to cameo in an episode of Cleavage Knight? :lol:

Probably! No, not really. If he did, that episode would never get aired or even get shot. It would probably end with him trashing the set or shooting the Boob Knight with an 'accidentally' loaded prop weapon.

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Vec Gunnar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:56 am

Cole Ormont wrote:I should have PM'd you in the second half of the game. I kept waiting for you to throw out pop-up threads so Cole could hit you up for that drink... then when you did, it was always for slots I didn't have free!

We got there in the end, so I'm looking forward to sharing a bottle of unidentified alcohol with Vec!

Sometimes things do end up lining up in the wrong way but I think I did manage to catch you for a chat and that drink eventually! I think I've only managed to scratch the surface of the doc compared to everyone else, however.

Shaisha Vreysk wrote:He might be just a grunt, but it's grunts like Vec that makes a tyrannical Empire go round! :D

*raises a glass in Vec's honor*

Really happy to see someone go for the "rank-and-file" grunt in the Imperial military. It was something I always felt was lacking in SWTOR, seeing as we got a Republic Trooper, but not an Imperial one.

How did Vec feel about all these teenaged Sith running around and basically being the boss of him? Any of them he grew to hate/love/respect?

Will he be accepting Shai's offer to serve her more directly and be upgraded from regular grunt to special grunt? :D

Thank you for the appreciation! I did think it would have been a neat idea to put a face behind the helmet, even if that face wasn't all that pretty, to be more than just generic cannon fodder. He's a tough veteran who managed to see a few things in his life, roughly distilling his personal opinions through what had seen in his upbringing and experience, normalizing it with time.

Well, seeing as the number of officers with pampered upbringing he had to put up with in his regular duty, it really wasn't all that different. They were something akin to royalty and there was little he could do to change that. At the very least, unlike pampered officers, they had knowledge about something that was completely unknown to him. That's a territory he can't overrule with his own experience. He did respect the ones he actually sat down and had a conversation with, Sith like Shaisha, Jo'ren, Lana and Zeno. Seeing the Sith in battle was impressive but that was to be expected. Kristal, he didn't like so much considering he butt heads with her.

And most likely, I think. :)

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Vec Gunnar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 am

Jo'ren Rath wrote:Best line of the game goes to Vec with: "My name's not fucking Vince!"

I thought Vec was a great character and would have been looked to get more into our threads together. Just didn't work out that way in the end.

Do you think you would bring him back for a future game?

What was your favorite moment of the game for Vec?

Thank you! That's a bit of a spur of the moment thing that was tossed in the escape for good measure, that seemed to have stuff strangely enough.

From what I've heard, it's more of a Republic game next? If possible, I'll consider bringing Vec back if there's enough incentive. I don't want to close the door completely. Although, now that I'm more familiar with the setting and the system (a bit), I think I know of other possible directions I could go for another character. I had been tossing an idea of a Chiss gambler/drifter...that idea will be probably out of place next game anyways.

As my personal favourite moment of the game for Vec? More like scene, it would have be the shootout at the wedding, funny enough. There wasn't any conversation to be had, but I guess it had been a while since I've played combat in this game and kudos to Nekoinu for running it. It seemed like the stakes were being raised when it got manageable and I kept pushing refresh to see something appear, anything. >_>

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 am

Well our interactions were limited but still very fun. I hope our characters can hang out more in a future game. Remmy rather appreciates what the Imp military does.
Sith | Force Sensitive | Human | Fallen Sith Line | Duelist | Mechanic | Charming | Hutt Ball Team: Valkyrie | Honourary Fett | Exp

Carries: Backpack, Comlink (Handheld), Datapad, Glow Rod, Laminate Armour (Mandalorian), Lightsaber - Gram, Respirator, Scanner Goggles, Spacesuit, Utility Belt

Remmington Thalalas

Postby Vec Gunnar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:53 am

They are overlooked but they are the workhorse of the Sith Empire.

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 am

Indeed they are. For every Sith there are maybe a hundred(s) or rank and file to make the Imperial war machine roll.

I am just amused with the potential idea of Vince and Joe being in an episode of Vera Hawke. :lol: Doubt it will happen though.

How did you find the pew pewing in Star Wars?

Remmington Thalalas

Postby Vec Gunnar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Did you mean the combat system? Well, the system in general was something to get used to and there's a lot of variables I had to remember with each roll, like what to spend my advantages or threats on. As well as remember to roll the extra dice for cover. Also, there were also the bonuses or penalties from other rolls too, other people's advantages or threats. A lot to calculate and thankfully Orokos just breaks it down for you, the sum at least. On the other hand, the results are never linear, which is nice and sort of gives some push and pull to the narrative as players.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but I think I'm warming up to it.

On the other hand, the gadgets and upgrades did put an importance on money I didn't quite foresee. Needing to buy your way upwards, on top of character build, made it feel a bit like Pathfinder?

Description
Vec Gunnar

Postby Remmington Thalalas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:09 am

Ha ha... yeah. I agree with you there on all counts. I still haven't done enough combat myself to know everything that I can do in a fight. Still kinda getting used to it as well.

The narrative combat style is interesting, I'll give them that.

Oh... so much money. On everything. >.>

Remmington Thalalas

Return to Q & A Forum